Visual Studio 2010 Project
So to start the proejct, I decided to use Visual Studio 2010. I used this site to get started:
Creating External Content Types with Visual Studio 2010. Where my implemenation differs from this example is my entity class was based upon source code that read content from a file share and assoicated the corresponding metadata information with each file.
The good thing about using Visual Studio 2010 with a SharePoint project is that a Visual Studio creates a deoployment package - a wsp file for you.
|Project file structure|
The BdcModel.bdcm file contains and entity that looks like this:
Looking into this file at the "ReadList" function:
This function is small but powerful. First it logs an information notice that the function has been invoked to SharePoint Unified Logging Service (ULS) for tracing purposes. Next it invokes a function that performs the file share read and metadata association.
Look at the "GetAllData" function which performs the file share read and metadata assoication.
Creating External Content Types with Visual Studio 2010
Searching External Data in SharePoint 2010 Using Business Connectivity Services
BCS Shims – .NET assembly as a data source for Business Connectivity Services
Configuring Business Connectivity Services (BCS) Search in SharePoint 2010
Business Data Connectivity Model – Finder Method
Using Business Connectivity Services in SharePoint 2010
HOW TO: Create a Searchable SharePoint 2010 BDC .NET Assembly Connector Which Reads From A Flat File
BDC .NET Assembly Connector: Tame SharePoint Search to search your .NET BDC Entity
Using Sharepoint’s File Type Icons
Developing a BDC Model on Visual Studio 2010 for SharePoint Foundation 2010 – The BDC Model and external references
Search Center configuration links:
Configuring SharePoint Server 2010 Search for External Content Types (Part 1 of 2)
FAST related links:
Mapping crawled properties (FAST Search Server 2010 for SharePoint)
Issue related link:
SharePoint 2010 BDC Model Deployment Issue: “The default web application could not be determined.”
Yea, I know this is SharePoint 2007, but it has some good information in it:
Performing Incremental Crawling with the Business Data Catalog in SharePoint Server 2007